Tuesday, March 10, 2015

New to Homeschooling?

We've been educating our children at home for 11yrs and I often get asked by those new to homeschooling, or entertaining the thought of homeschooling, which sites/books I could recommend as they start their journey into educating at home.
Please note:  I’m neither condoning nor recommending all the content these sites ‘share’ – they are just links that may have items of interest for you and your family as you home educate.  There are so many sites for homeschoolers now, that it just a matter of finding one that caters to the things each mum is looking for.
  Adding this thought:   Children learn so much by osmosis which constantly has me beseeching God about the character I’m displaying, tone of voice I use, attitudes, etc … in short;  am I living daily before the children the life of a godly woman; not a perfect woman – no one is , but one who is endeavouring to portray the word of God we believe in, not just talking about it.    
  I’ve found that home education is, primarily, more about me and my relationship with Christ, after that it’s my relationship with my husband, then my children – and any academic achievements we may be making whilst educating at home are secondary.  For us the first lessons are always about character and relationships.  Academics follow that.

1:  This online magazine  maybe of help.
3:  About us, as mothers, while we teach.
 
4:  Other links that may be of interest, and don’t require payment to use their sites:
Audio Books   (click Search area and then browse through areas of interest for your children)
HS    Starfall    check content first – the site has developed hugely since we used it

5:  Some sites here are Payment Required:
HS     Book Depository (free post to most countries) this is a site I like to use to purchase homeschooling items – sorry,  some of the front page ads are yucky!
HS     Christian Book  another spot to purchase homeschool items (see side bar for categories) though often we’ll be able to source it at a better price through book depository.
HS     Rainbow Resource  (good site with lots of homeschool items.  It pays to work with overseas companies to ensure packages they send are broken down into smaller lots, so that the amounts listed on each parcels sending label do not exceed around $420 NZ – otherwise we get charged for importing tax (just as if we were a brick and mortar school or a business).  We weren’t aware of that the first time we purchased a big homeschooling package from overseas and we got stung with a hefty importing tax fee.
HS     Reading Eggs   Not 100% sure of the content here as I’ve never used this -  it came out after my children were already readers. However, other mum's who's opinions I appreciate do recommend it.
HS     Timberdoodle (the same comments as rainbow resource)

6: Other Sites

7: A few books/links about homeschooling (mostly for earlier years) that I usually onshare to potential homeschoolers:
The Big WHAT NOW Book of Learning Styles ~ Carol Barnier  (linked to CBD -  for an inside visual)    This would be an excellent book for someone who is new/er to home educating , or is looking for ways to teach using their younger child’s learning strength.
Reading Aloud  (article)

I think one of the practical things that has helped me with our home educating journey was another home educator encouraging us to jot down our long term goals for our children.  The goals are not set in concrete and my husband & I prayerfully considered the general outline of those goals, and while a few have changed as we’ve gone alone most have remained the same.

These are the areas we created goals for:
 Bible and Message 
 Character
Emotionally  
Socially  

 English  (Language Arts)
Read
Write
Type

Math  
Basic accounting skills
Financially 

History

Science (& nature)

Computer skills

Music

Art 
                        
Handcrafts
Life Skills    

  © Mrs. D.R. Gilchrist 2015